Quick One for Les

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Quick One for Les

Post by Alby on Wed 15 Dec 2010 - 10:58

Hey Les,
Just a quickie mate.
Made a 50 on Saturday. Not what you'd call my most glorious, but...
Down side is I was not-out... and as you know, I'm an opener. So from the very first ball to the last of the 75th over I was out in the middle. We were playing the top side. Chasing 220 on our lush slow oval. They bowled well. Most were left-armers. Hate em'. Don't give me any width. Only a handful of 4's. When it came time to have a dip I was that buggered I was only getting singles or the odd two. I was trying to get out but they kept missing. We lost by the way. Only made 160. Godd we lasted the overs. Just need our better bats to do something.
There you go.

AL
avatar
Alby
Team Member
Team Member

Posts : 1090
Join date : 2010-02-18
Age : 54
Location : Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Quick One for Les

Post by JayCee on Wed 15 Dec 2010 - 15:39

Not out in 75 overs sounds great to me, has Mr. Ponting been informed? :lol:
Best I ever did was 53 (once). The other side had a pair of fast bowlers that nodody wanted to face so most of the runs came in singles to get away from the business end. If I remember correctly all my fours went to square leg because I was keen not to get hit on the toes by the block hole ones. It was the first game my girlfried came to see me in and it was down hill from there, batting wise. We did get married not long after and it is 39 years not out so I am still working at getting my averages up.

____________________________
avatar
JayCee
1Click SF
1Click  SF

Posts : 382
Join date : 2009-11-02
Location : deep in Sherwood forest

Back to top Go down

Re: Quick One for Les

Post by Alby on Wed 15 Dec 2010 - 19:49

Been Lucky enough to score a couple tons.
I love the challenge of the quickies. I don't play on turf anymore. But the hardest for me are bowler who swing and cut it off the deck.
avatar
Alby
Team Member
Team Member

Posts : 1090
Join date : 2010-02-18
Age : 54
Location : Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Quick One for Les

Post by sanshoe on Thu 16 Dec 2010 - 11:57

JayCee (16th December 2010, 2:39 am) wrote:Not out in 75 overs sounds great to me, has Mr. Ponting been informed? :lol:
Best I ever did was 53 (once). The other side had a pair of fast bowlers that nodody wanted to face so most of the runs came in singles to get away from the business end. If I remember correctly all my fours went to square leg because I was keen not to get hit on the toes by the block hole ones. It was the first game my girlfried came to see me in and it was down hill from there, batting wise. We did get married not long after and it is 39 years not out so I am still working at getting my averages up.


Just off cricket for a minute John, but the wife and I just celebrated our 39th as well, married in Dec 71.

Sorry Alby, just had to mention it :)

____________________________

I used to be indecisive....but I'm not sure now
avatar
sanshoe
1Click SF
1Click  SF

Posts : 755
Join date : 2010-02-21
Age : 69
Location : Somewhere in paradise. N.S.W. Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Quick One for Les

Post by LeslieG on Thu 16 Dec 2010 - 14:11

Great Alby as far as I am concerned you did a great job, you kept one end up the fault is all down to your team mates they could not take advantage of the fact that one end was solid and did not look like going. Too late for you to go to Perth but if we win this test they could be calling on you to keep one end up while Hussey does his bit.

Wonderful game which also made me think of my highs and lows. My personal high was during a two day cup final, I scored 115 and the took 5 for 45 and we lost so I was not able to enjoy it.

My personal low was arriving at the opponents ground the captain and I (Vice Captain) went to inspect the pitch, as an opening batsman I saw that the pitch looked perfect and said,"If you win the toss we must bat first". He did his part and won the toss, I faced the first ball which I decided was a little wide so I shouldered arm and was dismayed to hear the rattle behind me I looked round to see the off stumped at the side of their keeper. At the end of the day we were 368 for 1. I have never been able to live it down.
:affraid:
avatar
LeslieG
Jester
Jester

Posts : 181
Join date : 2009-11-03
Age : 71
Location : Lincoln

Back to top Go down

Re: Quick One for Les

Post by LeslieG on Thu 16 Dec 2010 - 17:00

One thing I realise I missed out of my reply. What incredible concentration you must have, I take my hat off to you. I was maybe a little hasty in blaming your team mates as I did not see the shots they got out to. I know that if I had been a number 4, 5 or 6 batsman and saw the opener still there it would have given me confidence, obviously they were bowling well and you were having a top day.
Thanks friend
avatar
LeslieG
Jester
Jester

Posts : 181
Join date : 2009-11-03
Age : 71
Location : Lincoln

Back to top Go down

Re: Quick One for Les

Post by JayCee on Sun 19 Dec 2010 - 17:23

75 overs would have been good for the England lads. 100 overs and you bowl us out twice, still it will make for a good second half of the series. It also screwed up my prediction of 1-0.

____________________________
avatar
JayCee
1Click SF
1Click  SF

Posts : 382
Join date : 2009-11-02
Location : deep in Sherwood forest

Back to top Go down

Re: Quick One for Les

Post by Alby on Mon 20 Dec 2010 - 9:03

sanshoe wrote:
JayCee (16th December 2010, 2:39 am) wrote:Not out in 75 overs sounds great to me, has Mr. Ponting been informed? :lol:
Best I ever did was 53 (once). The other side had a pair of fast bowlers that nodody wanted to face so most of the runs came in singles to get away from the business end. If I remember correctly all my fours went to square leg because I was keen not to get hit on the toes by the block hole ones. It was the first game my girlfried came to see me in and it was down hill from there, batting wise. We did get married not long after and it is 39 years not out so I am still working at getting my averages up.


Just off cricket for a minute John, but the wife and I just celebrated our 39th as well, married in Dec 71.

Sorry Alby, just had to mention it :)
Don't be sorry mate !!
That is brilliant !!
Congratulations... both of you.
We were May - 87 .. a few years from you guys
Did you do much ?
avatar
Alby
Team Member
Team Member

Posts : 1090
Join date : 2010-02-18
Age : 54
Location : Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Quick One for Les

Post by Alby on Mon 20 Dec 2010 - 9:14

LeslieG wrote:One thing I realise I missed out of my reply. What incredible concentration you must have, I take my hat off to you. I was maybe a little hasty in blaming your team mates as I did not see the shots they got out to. I know that if I had been a number 4, 5 or 6 batsman and saw the opener still there it would have given me confidence, obviously they were bowling well and you were having a top day.
Thanks friend
Thanks Les.
Yeah, They bowled well and when it came time to hit out, the boys hit the ball straight to em and they caught it.

Chockies to boiled lollies this week. We won the game but ran myself out going for a second. Out for 6 and dropped a catch (1stslip) It was a One-dayer.
avatar
Alby
Team Member
Team Member

Posts : 1090
Join date : 2010-02-18
Age : 54
Location : Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Quick One for Les

Post by Alby on Mon 20 Dec 2010 - 9:16

JayCee wrote:75 overs would have been good for the England lads. 100 overs and you bowl us out twice, still it will make for a good second half of the series. It also screwed up my prediction of 1-0.
Mine was 2-1 and I'll stick with it.

Well... on to Melbourne.
avatar
Alby
Team Member
Team Member

Posts : 1090
Join date : 2010-02-18
Age : 54
Location : Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Quick One for Les

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum