https://knowledgetree.forumotion.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

can a dvd backup program burn out your video card/motherboard?

4 posters

Go down

can a dvd backup program burn out your video card/motherboard? Empty can a dvd backup program burn out your video card/motherboard?

Post by startreksuite Sun 12 Sep 2010 - 1:02

I lost my motherboard last week due do it overheating and losing adhesion to the video card. It's whatever they ship with hp dv9535nrs. I sit it on my lap sometimes, but usually leave it on a coffee table or on a laptop cooler, just not always plugged in. I was wondering if my dvd backup program pushed the computer too hard, and caused the motherboard/video card to have issues.
startreksuite
startreksuite
Team Member
Team Member

Back to top Go down

can a dvd backup program burn out your video card/motherboard? Empty Re: can a dvd backup program burn out your video card/motherboard?

Post by sanshoe Sun 12 Sep 2010 - 7:32

That's a bit of bad luck Nick, but I believe it is possible. Unlikely to be your program, probably an overworked burner. Any warranty with the Laptop?
sanshoe
sanshoe
1Click SF
1Click  SF

Back to top Go down

can a dvd backup program burn out your video card/motherboard? Empty Re: can a dvd backup program burn out your video card/motherboard?

Post by startreksuite Sun 12 Sep 2010 - 12:58

Had a 3 year warranty with best buy, and it was up right before the video card broke. A local guy looked at it, and said since the card is integrated with the mobo, the motherboard would have to be replaced. My wife thinks that when I tried finding the best quality dvd backup of Avatar, I overworked the comp, and burned the video card.
Do you use a desktop or laptop, and is this type of problem common with laptops?
startreksuite
startreksuite
Team Member
Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sanshoe Sun 12 Sep 2010 - 13:29

I personaly use a desktop, don't have a lap top.
I think it's a common problem with laptops everything is so compact and close together, when something like this goes wrong there's going to be collateral damage.
sanshoe
sanshoe
1Click SF
1Click  SF

Back to top Go down

Post by SithTracy Sun 12 Sep 2010 - 13:47

Laptops are tightly enclosed and not ventilated well... That and if you are ripping DVD and encoding on a laptop... while they may be powerful enough to accomplish the task, that is really something that should be done on a desktop. You likely overheated it trying to complete the task. I suspect a gamers laptop might be a better choice for doing that kind of stuff if you like the portability.
SithTracy
SithTracy
Retired Admin/Mod
Retired Admin/Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by zebadee Sun 12 Sep 2010 - 17:58

Hi :)
When using a laptop it came pay to use external drives.
i.e. External DVDRW + HDD.
zebadee
zebadee
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

http://www.friendsofudvdr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down