https://knowledgetree.forumotion.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dual Booting

3 posters

Go down

Dual Booting Empty Dual Booting

Post by LeslieG Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 15:22

Ever since I went onto Windows 7, which was mid November last year (early Xmas present to self)I have had double booting on my number 1 machine. I have two 200 GB Sata hard drives, on one of them I have places Windows 7 operating system and on the other XP. I cannot commit myself fully to W7 only for two reasons one of which is that some of my older cherished programmes do not work with 7.

Everything works well for a month or so and then one of the two operating systems begins acting up and before long will not boot up. I can usually get it going again with a rescue disc but not for long and it starts acting up again. I find the only thing to do is a complete format of both hard drives and to start all over again. Not only is this a pain in the rear end but apart from windows OS's I have office 2003 and students office 2007, all these programmes I have to have re verified which means a very long time on the telephone, I know that it is freephone but having to give the almost endless stream of numbers out and the having to write down the endless stream of numbers coming back is quite wearing.

Can anyone offer a bit of advice as to how to dual boot and keep the two operating systems working permanently.
LeslieG
LeslieG
Jester
Jester

Back to top Go down

Dual Booting Empty Re: Dual Booting

Post by zebadee Sat 16 Jul 2011 - 15:38

Hi :)
Have you seen this.
Link http://apcmag.com/the_definitive_dualbooting_guide_linux_vista_and_xp_stepbystep.htm

Looks pretty all-in-one guide to me.

My best/most foolproof method was dual booting via the bios.
See each HDD/OS was totally independent.
Without the need for software switching. ;)
zebadee
zebadee
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

http://www.friendsofudvdr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rrplay Sun 17 Jul 2011 - 1:29

Hi LeslieG very good advice from zebadee by selecting the boot drive disc priority from the bios .When you mention you use a recovery disc are you using the the recovery console in Windows [either version XP or 7] ?
you have to boot into the recovery console and use a command like
fixmbr
which will fix the master boot record for intallation
sometimes:
fixboot
very good link from zeb page reference
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_windows_7_xp_installed_first.htm?page=5
by using Easy BCD

anyhoo let us know how it goes :)
rrplay
rrplay
Team Member
Team Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LeslieG Tue 19 Jul 2011 - 15:16

rrplay wrote:Hi LeslieG very good advice from zebadee by selecting the boot drive disc priority from the bios .When you mention you use a recovery disc are you using the the recovery console in Windows [either version XP or 7] ?
you have to boot into the recovery console and use a command like
fixmbr
which will fix the master boot record for intallation
sometimes:
fixboot
very good link from zeb page reference
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_windows_7_xp_installed_first.htm?page=5
by using Easy BCD

anyhoo let us know how it goes :)

Thanks a lot guys but OLD SOD has been working overtime. I am now using my number 2 computer which is almost an antique, and WHY? am I using my older computer because the video card on my best machine has just gone up the shoot (I hope it is the card and not the motherboard) I have ordered a new card as I do not have on board graphics. Therefore, I have been unable to try the good advice from my old friend Martin. I have a recovery disc that I made when I first installed Windows 7. I did have move between the two operating systems by pressing F9 on my machine and selecting the boot priority. The last time this happened {Dual booting causing complete breakdown in service) Each time I started my computer as the final screen came up I was given the choice of using Windows 7 or an earlier version. I do not have the knowledge to write the piece of code that came up with this it must have been written by the OS itself. I will continue the saga when my new graphics card arrives. shake_new
LeslieG
LeslieG
Jester
Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by LeslieG Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 21:16

Well old SOD has done me again, my new video card arrived today from Play.com. I put it into the machine and once again no picture of any sort. (The monitor is OK) The problem is obviously the mother board (again). I thought that the MB may be the problem Yesterday so just in case I went onto Ebay and typed in EVGA Black Pearl 680i SLI and believe it or not there was one on Ebay and it said...£5 for repair or spares, The seller went on to say, "Although the motherboard seem to fire up ok I just cannot get a picture even after trying a different Video card and a different monitor. This is exactly my problem so it would appear that this MB has a problem in this area.

My youngest son who is a computer wiz kid has now on two occasions, when he has upgraded his own machine. given me his previous one on both occasions after a relatively short space of time the MB has gone Kaput, The first time after 6 months and this time after 3 months. With my own equipment I have NEVER ever has a MB give up the ghost. I have pondered long and hard as to why that should be and the only conclusion I can come to is Over-clocking. I have never overclocked any rig that I have had but my son tends to overclock to the max as he is an avid gamer. So I have concluded (maybe wrongly) that his hand me downs (Although they are a much higher spec than I have had at the time) are tired out through overclocking. I will have to treat myself to a new MB as I just cannot contemplate throwing away the £300 quad core processor the £150 video card and the 4gig of fast memory that was in the rig he gave me. However as a hard-up pensioner I will have to look for the cheapest socket 775 MB that will run the above gear that came with the gifted rig.
Any thoughts, I need at least 2 SATA connections for the hard drives and three IDE for the DVD R/W drives. It also has a 1000 watt PSU which has plug in sockets to send the power to the disc drives.
LeslieG
LeslieG
Jester
Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down