https://knowledgetree.forumotion.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you use twitter

4 posters

Go down

If you use twitter Empty If you use twitter

Post by LeslieG Fri 10 Sep 2010 - 20:42

If you use the Twitter social networking site, you may have seen messages posted over the weekend announcing that an update for the popular TweetDeck client software was available. Whatever you do, don't click on the link and download the software. It is actually a fake update designed to steal your password (a so called Phishing attack). The message says something like “Critical tweetdeck update Bank Holiday”, and is sent from genuine Twitter accounts that have been compromised by hackers.

Twitter are in the process of resetting the passwords for the hacked accounts, and TweetDeck have issued a statement advising users to only download software updates from their official site. If you don't use Twitter you may think you have nothing to worry about, but this event illustrates two very important points: 1) that you should always use strong passwords for accounts on online services such as twitter, since weak passwords based on dictionary words can be easily cracked, and 2) that you should only ever download software updates from legitimate sources, such as the developers website
:affraid:
LeslieG
LeslieG
Jester
Jester

Back to top Go down

If you use twitter Empty Re: If you use twitter

Post by zebadee Sat 11 Sep 2010 - 0:05

LeslieG wrote:If you use the Twitter social networking site, you may have seen messages posted over the weekend announcing that an update for the popular TweetDeck client software was available. Whatever you do, don't click on the link and download the software. It is actually a fake update designed to steal your password (a so called Phishing attack). The message says something like “Critical tweetdeck update Bank Holiday”, and is sent from genuine Twitter accounts that have been compromised by hackers.

Twitter are in the process of resetting the passwords for the hacked accounts, and TweetDeck have issued a statement advising users to only download software updates from their official site. If you don't use Twitter you may think you have nothing to worry about, but this event illustrates two very important points: 1) that you should always use strong passwords for accounts on online services such as twitter, since weak passwords based on dictionary words can be easily cracked, and 2) that you should only ever download software updates from legitimate sources, such as the developers website
:affraid:

Hi :)

Thanks
zebadee
zebadee
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

http://www.friendsofudvdr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sanshoe Sun 12 Sep 2010 - 7:28

Thanks Zeb, I don't use Twitter myself, but I'm sure lots of folk do. Thanks
sanshoe
sanshoe
1Click SF
1Click  SF

Back to top Go down

Post by SithTracy Sun 12 Sep 2010 - 13:51

I have a Twitter account... I am sure it is twitting away, I just don't recall my password. It's been several months since I attempted to sign in. Facebook, I log into once in a while just to glance and see what my brother is up to (he is working overseas in a dangerous part of the world). Don't care much for either of them... same with that thing before them "MySpace"... blah.
SithTracy
SithTracy
Retired Admin/Mod
Retired Admin/Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down